The title company got back to me and said I need a pinned survey on my property. What are they talking about?

    A "pin" or "pinned" survey is technical jargon for a boundary survey. It probably comes from the fact that iron rods, commonly called iron pins, would be set on property corners as a result of the boundary survey.

We're refinancing our home, and the out of state lender wants us to provide them with (I think they called it) a "Print", or a "Location Print", or an "ID Survey", or something like that from a surveyor. What do we need, and can you help us?

   The item being requested is a Mortgage Location Survey. This is an instrument prepared by a surveyor for title companies and mortgage lenders. As set by standards by the State of Ohio, a Mortgage Location Survey shows (among other items) the size and configuration of the subject property, and the size and location of the structures located on the property. Generally, this type of survey is ordered through a title insurance company, not by the property owner. The preparation of Mortgage Location Surveys is a service offered by Seiler and Craig Surveying.

I'm selling my house and my realtor told me that my deed is a conditional transfer and that I should probably take care of that with a new survey. What should I do?

   In Richland County, a conditional transfer is a designation given by the county auditor and/or tax map office to a current deed that is not complete enough to explicitly describe either the specific location or area of the parcel to be transferred. If the current deed is stamped "conditional transfer", a boundary survey and resulting new legal description of the premises would be needed prior to sale of the property. If the current deed is checked prior to a proposed transfer, and it receives the "conditional transfer" stamp, a boundary survey would not be required for this transfer, but a new survey and description would be mandatory for a subsequent transfer.

I've done some research and my current deed for my property has a stamp on the bottom of it that says something like "description unacceptable-needs survey correction". What do I do?

    Your deed was probably stamped "conditional transfer" when you purchased your property. You are now required to have a boundary survey on your property, which would result in a new legal description that would be incorporated on a deed for transfer purposes. This deed would be stamped by the county as "acceptable for transfer". It is the policy of Seiler and Craig Surveying to have the survey plat (drawing) and legal description generated by a new boundary survey pre-approved for transfer by the Richland County Tax Map Office.

I'm thinking of selling my property. When should I get it surveyed?

    Generally, a new boundary survey is not mandatory for a real estate transaction. It is however, always required if the current deed has been stamped "unacceptable for transfer" by the county (see previous answers). It would also be required if you are not selling all of the property that is described in your current deed. It should be noted that the ability to show a prospective purchaser the boundary lines and corners of a parcel would be a strong sales point.

My wife and I want to buy an acre or so off a farm owned by her uncle, so that we can build a house. How do we do that?

     A boundary survey is needed for the site that you wish to purchase. A number of items need to be addressed prior to the survey. These may include county/township zoning and/or subdivision regulations which dictate the size and configuration of a parcel and health department requirements pertaining to size of parcels for septic approval. After determining the requirements of the various agencies, the survey can then be performed. The result of the survey is a plat (drawing) and description of the property. It is the policy of Seiler and Craig Surveying to provide the client with a drawing and description that has been reviewed and pre-approved for transfer by the applicable authorities. In order to transfer the property from the uncle to you, a deed would have to be prepared, which is usually done by an attorney or a title company. The preparer uses the legal description generated by the survey, the owner signs off on the deed, and the instrument is recorded at the county court house.

How much does a survey cost?

      Seiler and Craig's fees for surveying services are based on a number of factors. These include the scope of the project, the hours needed to complete work, terrain, vegetation, requested completion date, and the availability of previously monumented boundary corners. In short, we do not have set fees for our services. We address each project individually, and will provide you with an estimate of the fee at no charge to you.

We're closing on our house in three days and the realtor just told us that we have to have a survey. Help!

     We are aware of scheduling emergencies at Seiler and Craig Surveying, and when we have the flexibility to change our schedule to undertake a rush project, we certainly will. However, we are dependent upon the government agencies such as tax map offices, planning commissions, zoning boards, etc. as to the time that they take for their approvals. Sometimes these approvals extend beyond the scheduled closing date.

I'm going to build a fence around my back yard. How do I know where to put it? How do you mark my corners?

    Property corners which would need to be set as a result of a survey (as opposed to a recovered corner) would be marked by a 5/8" solid iron pin driven into the ground so that the top of the pin is flush with the surrounding ground. A plastic cap stamped "SEILER & CRAIG" would be hammered over the pin. If obstructions such as trees, rocks, pavement, etc. were on the actual property corner, reference markers to those corners would be set. Wooden stakes would be set close to these corner markers to increase the visibility of the corners. Wooden stakes could be set along property lines at intervals to ensure a straight fence.